Kilimanjaro scaled for three charities

Dave Fowles, of Fowles Funeral Services, reached the summit of the world’s highest free-standing mountain, Kilimanjaro, and raised more than £19,727 for charity.

In 2009 Dave raised £10,000 for CLIC Sargent, after trekking in Peru and climbing to 4,440m, and then to Machu Picchu. “Once you get the trekking bug there is no turning back,” he said. “The next, obvious choice for me was Kilimanjaro”. Family commitments, two new sons, and returning to the family business after working in Birmingham as a radio breakfast show presenter, meant the Kilimanjaro trip was delayed, but in September 2015 the dream was finally fulfilled.

For his African climb Dave decided to raise money for CLIC Sargent after seeing the incredible work of the children’s cancer charity, but he also wanted to raise money for St Luke’s Hospice after witnessing the amazing job they do for their patients and their families. Finally, Dave wanted to give back to a local school that had been educating his family for four generations so, after speaking to Miss Harrison the Head teacher at Over St Johns Primary School, he decided to raise money for an interactive learning board.

Dave self-funded the trip, meaning everything raised went to the charities.

The seven day trek, six days up and one day down, was supervised by the team that helped the film crew in the movie Everest.

The training for the adventure was intense, with gym sessions three or four times a week, daily walks and weekend treks through the Lake District and Peaks. Then there were fundraising and sponsorship events that all took time and effort, but Dave said it was nothing compared to what the people go through while being cared for by CLIC Sargent and St Luke’s Hospice.

In Tanzania there were highs and lows on the mountain side, with Dave saying he had never felt so ill on summit night with nausea, dizziness, hallucinations, and even out of body experiences, but what kept him going was supporters’ generosity and the love of his family and friends.

“I kept a photo in my pocket from my boys and the St Christopher medal they had given me around my neck. Whenever I felt like quitting, and there were a few times, that was my drive upwards,” said Dave.

Eventually after six days of walking through incredible countryside and meeting amazing people, he reached the summit.

“My personal goal achieved, I was at my physical and mental limit and I just broke down and cried when I saw the summit sign,” said an emotional Dave.

To read Dave’s full blog check out

Tags: , , , , , ,